I have found the summers to be most productive. So i urge students, to use that time very wisely, you can accomplish a lot. There are many such opportunities available.
1. Open Source contribution –
a. *Google Summer of Code* – http://socghop.appspot.com Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers student developers a stipend of $5000 to write code for various open source software projects.
b. *Season of KDE* – http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2011/04/25/announcing-season-of-kde-2011/ – For all those who applied for KDE for GSoC and could not get through, here is a second chance.
Do not be under the impression that one needs a lot of experience to participate in these contests. Students even without prior open source experience, but who show interest to learn more, always get accepted!
2. Programming contests: If you like programming, there are many places you can start off.
1. *SPOJ* – Its an online judge where you can test your programming skills by solving interesting problem. http://www.spoj.pl/problems/classical/sort=-6 It also has a forum where you can discuss problems in case you are not getting the solution. There are always people there to help out.
2. *CodeChef* – Its the local online judge in India. http://www.codechef.com/problems/easy
3. *Coding bat* – If you like python, here is the place to start off -> http://codingbat.com/
4. *Google Code Jam* – is a programming competition in which professional and student programmers are asked to solve increasingly complex algorithmic challenges in a limited amount of time. The contest is all-inclusive: Google Code Jam lets you compete in the programming language and development environment of your choice. For more information – http://code.google.com/codejam
3. *Application for science competition* – You can build applications to enhance and customize the end-user’s search needs, improving their research through a library Sciverse application. For more information about the challenge go to http://appsforscience.com
4. *One month – Internship for pre-final year students* :- Opensoft initiates a Month – Internship & Research Workshop” in various Languages like PHP, Perl, Python. And Web CMS’s like Drupal, Joomla & WordPress. For information go to -> http://www.opensoftworkshop.com
5. *Graphic designer full time intern* – If you are interested in Web Sites(HTML & Flash) and iPhone/iPad/Android you are in the right place. visit – > http://columbusagain.recruiterbox.com/jobs/3239/ . Note : location – Chennai.
6. *Software developer full time intern* – Software Developer with strong skills in programming, Exposure to Linux, PHP, mySQL, Web Technologies HTML/CSS/JS. Visit -> http://columbusagain.recruiterbox.com/jobs/3177 . Note : location – Chennai.
7. *Mobile Application Development for Desktop Summit* – Desktop Summit is the both GUADEC(GNOME’s annual conference) and Akademy(KDE’s annual conference) being held together. This time it’s from August 5th to August 12th. The organizers are looking for people to create mobile apps for the event. More details can be found here<http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2011/05/26/mobile-apps-for-the-desktop-…>
8. *HIT Lab NZ Winter of Code Internship Opportunity June 2011* – The HIT Lab NZ is looking for three extremely talented graduate or undergraduate students that would like to spend the winter in New Zealand working as student interns on a very interesting outdoor Augmented Reality (AR) project. Click here to apply Winter of Code Internship Application. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org